Skip to main content

The Power Couple: Turmeric & Black Pepper






Anyone who grew up in an Indian household knows about the magic of Haldi Doodh. Simply translated, it’s Turmeric Milk. As a child, whenever I felt the sniffles coming on, when the forehead started to feel a little bit warm, my mother would make me a tall glass of this yellow elixir. It was creamy, slightly sweet with little spicy kick and it warmed me from the inside out from the very first sip itself. The recipe is ridiculously simple. Warmed up milk mixed with turmeric, honey and a pinch of ginger powder and a light sprinkling black pepper. So simple yet so effective. It remains my go to beverage when I feel a little low energy spell happening. It’s a home made remedy that's an instant and magical cure.

I have now come to realize, what was once grandma’s remedy is now the next big scientific breakthrough. Scientists now claim that Curcumin, the active ingredient in Turmeric, is a natural anti-inflammatory compound and is a potent antioxidant. It can increase the antioxidant capacity of the body and may help in lowering the risk of heart disease and cancer. And the list goes on. Curcumin is believed to be effective in fighting Alzheimer’s disease. Patients with Arthritis respond well to it. Curcumin even has benefits against depression. Simply put, this spice that stains everything in your kitchen yellow, from your countertops to your cutting boards, can actually improve your quality of life.

But there’s a caveat with respect to Curcumin. Something known as bio availability that refers to the rate at which the body absorbs a particular substance. Unfortunately the rate at which Curcumin is absorbed into the bloodstream is rather poor. You would need to consume copious amounts of Turmeric to derive any form of health benefits. That's when Black Pepper comes to the rescue. The active compound Piperine found in Black Pepper is known to enhance the absorption of Curcumin by 2000%. Now isn’t that something? And all this time, I thought Grandma was adding black pepper just for flavor and an additional kick. This culinary move was rooted in science. Our ancestors knew something that modern science is only starting to figure out today.

Curcumin is also fat soluble, which means it breaks down in a fat medium. Now Turmeric Milk is starting to make a lot more sense. As Curcumin breaks down in milk fat, and when combined with black pepper, it gets quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, administering a healthy dose of antioxidant power to the body. No wonder it takes just one glass of it and I start to feel better immediately.

There are so many things we are discovering today in Eastern diets that make food serve as medicine. While this may astonish and surprise us, our ancestors regarded this as common knowledge. As we look for solutions to save ourselves and this planet, I think it’s time to start looking at the Indian grandma’s recipe book. Who knows what else we might find?  All I can say is that our ancestors had a lot more knowledge than we gave them credit for. I believe the time has come for us cooks to dig in a little deeper. I am sure the planet will be a lot more grateful to us as a result.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mumbai Memories of Cutting Chai

" What on earth is Cutting Chai?" Most people in America give me this incredulous look when I speak of the iconic Mumbai street food experience. I don't blame them honestly. I have the same look when Yoga Mom decked out in Lululemon asks for her "Grande nonfat chai latte extra foam with 3 pumps of caramel". I resist the urge to bury my head in my hands as she happily swipes her card for her 6 dollar mid morning pick me up. If you happen to be in the Chai Latte loving camp, I suggest you stop reading right now, as I don't wish to offend your delicate sensibilities. Please return to the article about the perfect form for the downward facing dog. Consuming chai is an integral part of being Indian. We consume on average, at least four cups of chai every day. Your morning newspaper moment is just not quite the same without it. The mid morning breather is the perfect excuse to inhale a quick cup before getting back to the tasks at hand. The four o'clock slump

Alphonso: The Undisputed King of Mangoes

  For most desi immigrants, travel to India happens primarily  over the Christmas vacation. The work cycle and demands of the school schedule make winter pretty much the only time to visit family back home. There is one huge drawback to visiting India during this time period. You miss out on feasting on the true king of fruit; the Mango. In India, mangoes come into season Mid April and are available until the end of June. Mangoes are the true indicator that summer has finally arrived. The down side for the Desi who chose to immigrate is having to say goodbye to the pleasure of this summer delight. It was a family emergency that brought me back home at this time of the year. Being my first time visiting India in summer in 24 years, you bet I have a lot of mango catching up to do! Many will argue till blue in the face about which mango variety is the best. The Goans insist it’s the Mankurad variety while the residents of West Bengal swear by the Himsagar. But a true Mumbaikar cannot be s

Qurbaani: My understanding of Bakri Eid

Growing up in a household with a catholic mother and a muslim father gave me an edge over the other kids in school. I got to celebrate twice the number of festivals. In our house, Christmas and Easter were celebrated as fervently as Ramzan Eid and Bakri Eid. As the world celebrated Bakri Eid, also known as Eid-al-Adha earlier this week, it made me remember the time when I was a young child growing up in Mumbai, and how this festival helped me understand some of life’s most important lessons. Bakri Eid is a festival where Muslims all over the world perform the Qurbaani; the ritualistic sacrifice of an animal if they are able to. On this day, the experience of Abraham is remembered where he was called upon by God to sacrifice his son Isaac. Every year on Bakri Eid, I was told I was too young to go with him to see the Qurbaani happen. Dad would leave early in the morning with my uncles and return a few hours later with a wicker basket full of mutton parts, all cut up into pieces and layer