Skip to main content

Rotting Bananas? Time for Banana Sabudana Kheer





There are some things in a kitchen you just have to accept are going to happen. The milk will always boil in the split second you turn your eyes away. Honey will always take its own sweet time to exit the bottle no matter how hard you smack its bottom. And the bananas eventually will ripen too much. If left unattended and uneaten, they will turn soft and start to develop blotchy black discolorations. When that happens, you make Banana Sabudana Kheer.

Two childhood happy memories influenced this dish. As a child, mom would feed me mashed up overripe bananas in a bowl, mixed with a spoonful of sugar and a little milk for my after school treat. The other comfort food memory for me was Sabudana Kheer; the sweetened milk dessert made from Tapioca pearls, also known as Sago. Mom used to call it “Shortcut Kheer” because it was so quick and easy to execute. There was something delightfully playful about chomping on the gelatinous round pearl-like granules while slurping down thick sweetened milk laced with cardamom. After I would polish off my portion of kheer, I would then tell my little sister that the round pearls were fish eyes. She would run away screaming in disgust, leaving me an unsanctioned second helping, right there for the taking. There would be hell to pay when mom found out what I did, but it was totally worth it.

These two childhood memories coupled with an absolute dislike for food wastage led to this dish. The milk and bananas had started to outlive their usefulness. The milk was getting dangerously close to the expiry date.The bananas had probably were starting to develop the big black blotchy bruises. That's the "Use-it-or-Lose-it" moment that leads to magical kitchen discoveries.  Combining the banana memory with the Sabudana kheer memory yielded the most satisfying dessert. Surprisingly easy to execute, on top of that.

When making this dish, it’s very important to allocate at least an hour for washing and soaking the tapioca pearls. This ensures the tapioca pearls get nicely plump and properly hydrated. Skipping this step could result in the pearls being still raw in the center. The unwashed starch could turn the kheer into a sad version of sludge. Trust me, it is not good eating when that happens. Kheer needs to be a spoonable silky liquid that flows off the spoon into your mouth. Scooping soggy goopy pudding = EPIC fail. 

While the pearls are doing their thing submerged in water, the milk is brought to a boil, and stirred frequently to allow it to reduce. This causes the milk sugars to caramelize a little, adding to the overall flavor. I always maintain a separate saucepan when making milk based dishes. Nothing ruins a kheer experience worse than the flavors of yesterday’s fish curry. 

The mashy gooey overripe bananas go in next and with a hand mixer, the contents of the saucepan are blitzed into a luxuriously thick liquid. Next go in the soaked tapioca pearls and this all is simmered till the liquid turns thick and velvety. When it comes to choice of sweeteners, I like honey for this. Brown sugar also works well. I love the mild flavor of molasses, and the caramel color it imparts to the kheer. The final touch is a sprinkle of freshly pounded cardamom seeds, followed by a light splash of rose water. The lid is set, and the flavors are left alone to marry and come together in a happy blend. Astonishingly simple yet playful.

I like having my Banana Tapioca Pearls kheer warm right out of the pan. It’s also delightful when consumed chilled, which you can do, if there are any leftovers. A big emphasis on ‘If”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alphonso: The Undisputed King of Mangoes

  For most desi immigrants, travel to India happens primarily  over the Christmas vacation. The work cycle and demands of the school schedule make winter pretty much the only time to visit family back home. There is one huge drawback to visiting India during this time period. You miss out on feasting on the true king of fruit; the Mango. In India, mangoes come into season Mid April and are available until the end of June. Mangoes are the true indicator that summer has finally arrived. The down side for the Desi who chose to immigrate is having to say goodbye to the pleasure of this summer delight. It was a family emergency that brought me back home at this time of the year. Being my first time visiting India in summer in 24 years, you bet I have a lot of mango catching up to do! Many will argue till blue in the face about which mango variety is the best. The Goans insist it’s the Mankurad variety while the residents of West Bengal swear by the Himsagar. But a true Mumbaikar cannot be s

Mumbai Memories of Cutting Chai

" What on earth is Cutting Chai?" Most people in America give me this incredulous look when I speak of the iconic Mumbai street food experience. I don't blame them honestly. I have the same look when Yoga Mom decked out in Lululemon asks for her "Grande nonfat chai latte extra foam with 3 pumps of caramel". I resist the urge to bury my head in my hands as she happily swipes her card for her 6 dollar mid morning pick me up. If you happen to be in the Chai Latte loving camp, I suggest you stop reading right now, as I don't wish to offend your delicate sensibilities. Please return to the article about the perfect form for the downward facing dog. Consuming chai is an integral part of being Indian. We consume on average, at least four cups of chai every day. Your morning newspaper moment is just not quite the same without it. The mid morning breather is the perfect excuse to inhale a quick cup before getting back to the tasks at hand. The four o'clock slump

Qurbaani: My understanding of Bakri Eid

Growing up in a household with a catholic mother and a muslim father gave me an edge over the other kids in school. I got to celebrate twice the number of festivals. In our house, Christmas and Easter were celebrated as fervently as Ramzan Eid and Bakri Eid. As the world celebrated Bakri Eid, also known as Eid-al-Adha earlier this week, it made me remember the time when I was a young child growing up in Mumbai, and how this festival helped me understand some of life’s most important lessons. Bakri Eid is a festival where Muslims all over the world perform the Qurbaani; the ritualistic sacrifice of an animal if they are able to. On this day, the experience of Abraham is remembered where he was called upon by God to sacrifice his son Isaac. Every year on Bakri Eid, I was told I was too young to go with him to see the Qurbaani happen. Dad would leave early in the morning with my uncles and return a few hours later with a wicker basket full of mutton parts, all cut up into pieces and layer