Skip to main content

There's always a Chai guy in Mumbai




Air travel is often accompanied by exciting and adventurous experiences, and often, by rather unpleasantly harrowing ones. t was ten past one in the morning, as the airplane taxied down the runway when the flight attendant broke the news over the PA system. Flight attendants have this uncanny ability to deliver bad news with delightfully cultivated smiling voices. “Welcome to Mumbai, the temperature outside is a balmy 82 degrees F and due to unforeseen circumstances, some luggage has been left back in Amsterdam. Please check with the ground crew for more details. Thank you for flying with us.” 

Oh groan!!! That meant in addition to the customary one hour visa processing and customs clearance wait time, I would have to wait for another two hours to file the report for my lost luggage situation. This was a bad time have checked in my carry on items. Now I don’t even have access to the emergency change of t-shirt and clean pair of underwear and socks. After being in the air for 20 plus hours, a change of these basic clothing items is highly warranted, and can be classified as an act of public service. It was a figurative can of sardines situation at the lost luggage counter, everyone experiencing similar body odor issues that result from excessively long flight durations. This was one time I really wished for more stringent social distancing requirements.


Four hours later I left the Mumbai international airport, and I was spent beyond recognition. It was still dark as I crawled into my airport transfer that was organized to take me home. The city was barely showing signs of waking up, and most dining establishments appeared to still be closed. “What I wouldn’t give for a cup of chai right now”. I said to myself. “There’s always chai guy in Mumbai, Sir”. This was Chandru, the driver of the vehicle. “I know a chaiwalla outside Bhaba Hospital that’s open now." He was going to go there after he dropped me off. “How about we go there first and I’m paying.” I chimed in. 


There I was at an unearthly hour on a random sidewalk in Mumbai, enjoying piping hot glass of Mumbai street chai. Right there is an example of the city’s tenuous entrepreneur spirit. On a makeshift counter sat a kerosine powered stove from the previous century, on which the chaiwalla was bringing a large pot of water to a rolling boil to brew his magical potion. All it took was one sip of that steamy decoction for all the unpleasantness of the recent travel ordeal to vanish into darkness. I honestly believe that this is the purpose of the street chai guy. He’s not just selling tea, he makes troubles go away, even if just for a few minutes.


As he grates fresh ginger into his version of a bubbling cauldron, he tells me “I am here every day, from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm. I never take a break, I never take a day off.” That’s what you got to do to survive in the Mumbai street food scene. He holds a prime spot across the street from one of the busiest hospitals in the area, and he holds on to it for dear life. One day away from work could mean this spot belongs to someone else tomorrow. There are no rules in this street food game.


It’s people like him that make up the fabric of Mumbai. Doing whatever it takes to put food on the table and kids through school. He hopes that they will never have to sell chai on the streets for a living, like their uneducated old man. This hustle, this attitude, this relentless undying spirit is what makes Mumbai the city that it is. I am reminded of this every time I visit home. I could not be more proud have been born a Mumbaikar.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alphonso: The Undisputed King of Mangoes

  For most desi immigrants, travel to India happens primarily  over the Christmas vacation. The work cycle and demands of the school schedule make winter pretty much the only time to visit family back home. There is one huge drawback to visiting India during this time period. You miss out on feasting on the true king of fruit; the Mango. In India, mangoes come into season Mid April and are available until the end of June. Mangoes are the true indicator that summer has finally arrived. The down side for the Desi who chose to immigrate is having to say goodbye to the pleasure of this summer delight. It was a family emergency that brought me back home at this time of the year. Being my first time visiting India in summer in 24 years, you bet I have a lot of mango catching up to do! Many will argue till blue in the face about which mango variety is the best. The Goans insist it’s the Mankurad variety while the residents of West Bengal swear by the Himsagar. But a true Mumbaikar cannot be s

Mumbai Memories of Cutting Chai

" What on earth is Cutting Chai?" Most people in America give me this incredulous look when I speak of the iconic Mumbai street food experience. I don't blame them honestly. I have the same look when Yoga Mom decked out in Lululemon asks for her "Grande nonfat chai latte extra foam with 3 pumps of caramel". I resist the urge to bury my head in my hands as she happily swipes her card for her 6 dollar mid morning pick me up. If you happen to be in the Chai Latte loving camp, I suggest you stop reading right now, as I don't wish to offend your delicate sensibilities. Please return to the article about the perfect form for the downward facing dog. Consuming chai is an integral part of being Indian. We consume on average, at least four cups of chai every day. Your morning newspaper moment is just not quite the same without it. The mid morning breather is the perfect excuse to inhale a quick cup before getting back to the tasks at hand. The four o'clock slump

Qurbaani: My understanding of Bakri Eid

Growing up in a household with a catholic mother and a muslim father gave me an edge over the other kids in school. I got to celebrate twice the number of festivals. In our house, Christmas and Easter were celebrated as fervently as Ramzan Eid and Bakri Eid. As the world celebrated Bakri Eid, also known as Eid-al-Adha earlier this week, it made me remember the time when I was a young child growing up in Mumbai, and how this festival helped me understand some of life’s most important lessons. Bakri Eid is a festival where Muslims all over the world perform the Qurbaani; the ritualistic sacrifice of an animal if they are able to. On this day, the experience of Abraham is remembered where he was called upon by God to sacrifice his son Isaac. Every year on Bakri Eid, I was told I was too young to go with him to see the Qurbaani happen. Dad would leave early in the morning with my uncles and return a few hours later with a wicker basket full of mutton parts, all cut up into pieces and layer